Doctor Fires Me for no good reason

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Doctor Fires Me for no good reason


I’ll try to make this simple. I scheduled an appointment with a doctor 30 days in advance, brought my paperwork, was there early but still had to wait at their office for over an hour to see him. I later sent him a bill for my time and in return the clinic sent me a letter saying I could no longer go to that clinic.

Is this right? Can they do this even though I felt it was only fair to bill them since their policy is to bill me if I were late?

Asked on August 14, 2017 under Malpractice Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) You have no legal right to bill them for your time--yes, it would be fair, but there is no legal basis for it.
2) A doctor is not obligated to keep any patient they consider difficult or disruptive: in sending them a bill for which there was no legal basis, you put yourself in that category, so they could refuse to see you or have you as a patient.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption