Does an employer have to pay travel time?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does an employer have to pay travel time?

We own a concrete company. Our employees report to our office in the morning and then drive our company vehicles to the job site. Travel time is 2-4 hours a day. Do we have to pay travel time? If they drive their vehicle directly to the job site – would we have to pay them travel time?

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if the employees report to work, then drive to the worksite, the drive to and from it is work time and must be paid.

If they drive directly to the job site, the issue of whether you have to pay depends on how far it is. If the job site is approximately as far as their normal morning commute to the office (which you don't have to pay), then you would not have to pay it; if it is longer, however, you should pay the difference in time--e.g. if the normal commute for a worker is 1/2 hour, and he has to drive 1 hour to the job site from home, he should be paid for 1/2 hour.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption