do you have to give a 2 week notice in order for you to get vacation pay that you have built up

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

do you have to give a 2 week notice in order for you to get vacation pay that you have built up

want to quit my job but need to know if i need to give 2 week notice in order to
get paid for vacation time i have built up

Asked on August 1, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In S.C., an employee only has the right to be paid for their accrued vacation time if there is a company policy (e.g. the handbook) or a union/collective barganing agreement or emplotnebt contract which states that workers will be paid such time when they leave. Additionally, sometimes there is a rule that workers will be paid their accrued vacation time if they give notice before quitting. You'll need to ask HR what the specific rules are. Also, ask other employees if the company has paid other employees their accrued time when they left and if thy gave notice, if so then you should be entitled to such pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption