IfI pay back due HOA fees, can a lien be placed against my home?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI pay back due HOA fees, can a lien be placed against my home?

I have been threatened with legal action over late payment of fees. The fees I paid were not late but they failed to apply payment to my account. The HOA failed to send me the bill/assessment and has ignored my request for the bill for this month. If I get the bill and pay the fees, even though it’s late, can they assess a lien on my home?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read the recorded covenants, conditions & restrictions pertaining to your unit in the planned unit development. Most likely the association has the ability to lien your unit for a late monthly dues payment. Will it given the actual payment that is late?

Most likely not. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption