Do we have any recourse with these neighbor?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do we have any recourse with these neighbor?

My family lives in an industrial area. House was built in the 50’s with corn fields around it. Many businesses sprung up and they are now surrounded by companies mainly trucking companies U.S. Steel Fairless Works was down the street. The newest neighbor is a tree company. The property consists of a building, which the property owners daughter is living in, and land which he stores his trucks/equipment on. He keeps guard dogs on the property. My family is unable to go outside without the dogs barking at them. They don’t stop. My sister was weeding her yard and they barked at her for about an hour. She has called the owner about it and the police. Nothing has changed. New Link Destination
throw a wrench into things, my brother is a truck driver who keeps his truck on our family property. He gets many loads where he has to leave at 4:00 in the morning. The owner of the tree company is now threatening to call the police on my brother for starting his truck at 4:00 in the morning and disturbing his daughter. We don’t know what to do. The police won’t do anything, we think he has friends on the force, animal control won’t do anything because the dogs are well taken care of. Do we have any recourse here without getting my brother in trouble?

Asked on August 9, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the are violating any local ordinances regarding noise (i.e. the "decibel," or sound level of barking; or the hours at which they bark), you may be able to enforce those against him, but may have to try to go "over the heads" of any suspected friends on the force, to higher-level police or even to local government (e.g. the mayor, the council) to try to force action. (Ordinances are generally enforced by local government, not by private citizens, so you would need the town, etc. to act.) Similarly, if there are any health ordinances being violated (e.g. regarding order from dog waste or disposal of dog waste), those could potentially be enforced against them. But the key is, you need there to be a violation of some local law or ordinance; if there is not, then they may keep their barking dogs on their lot even if they disturb your family.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption