Do we have any legal right to contesta Will for our part ofan inheritance?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do we have any legal right to contesta Will for our part ofan inheritance?

My sister and I were left out of my father’s Will. He left everything to his wife; as far as I know we were never mentioned in the Will.

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


Catherine Taylor / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generlly, children of a decedent have standing to contest a will. Most states have omitted heir statutes that govern this issue. If your father simply failed to name you without specific language disinheriting you, you probably have a good chance on a will contest. I would suggest that you speak to an estate planning/administration attorney as soon as possible. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption