Do we have a right to park at our business on a restricted road?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do we have a right to park at our business on a restricted road?

Our road is posted with overweight restrictions, however our business resides

on this road and we’ve been operating at our place of residence since 1965

and the roads were posted over 30 years ago. Are we grandfathered in? The New Link Destination
wnship is trying to make us park semi-trucks with trailers away from our shop and business address.

Asked on June 23, 2018 under Business Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, there in no such thing as being automatically grandfathered in: towns can change their ordinances, including parking rules at will, and once changed, they apply to people and businesses who had been, or had been doing what is now prohibited, previously. Only if your township specifically chose to grandfather you in when passing the ordinance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption