Do temporary employees receive pay for a company shutdown?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do temporary employees receive pay for a company shutdown?

There is a week long shutdown in July
at my company- We were told in training
we would get paid- And I sought to
verify this to no avail- No one from
the temp service or the actual company
gave us a clear answer in time, so that
we could make arrangements at the very

Asked on July 11, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The law does not require pay for the time that a business is closed or shut down, unless you have an actual written employement contract (including a union or collective bargaining agreement) guarantying your pay during this time. Without a written contract, they do not have to pay you, even if they someone had orally told you earlier that they would. You may be able to file for unemployment insurance, however, if you are otherwise eligible: you can get UI for temporary loss of work as well as for being terminated or laid off.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption