Do eviction laws differ for tenants of rooming/boarding houses versus apartments or houses?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do eviction laws differ for tenants of rooming/boarding houses versus apartments or houses?

We have 2 tenants we need to evict for non-payments of rent. One tenant we haven’t heard from since the beginning of this year and we have no phone. We have left letters on his door to communicate with him but have heard nothing. The other tenant we have tried to work with allowing him to pay a little each week. We have served both tenants the 3-day eviction and leave the premises notices.

Asked on January 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. / MacGregor Lyon, LLC.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, but I don’t believe the differences would apply to your situation. You should send a written demand for the property (room) - it might seem strange since they are only renting a room, but you have to make sure they either receive it or you make all reasonable efforts to get it to them. Then, if they do not leave after that date, you can file a dispossessory action in the magistrate court of your county.

If you would like to discuss any issues further, please feel free to contact my office.  The link to my contact information is below.  Thank you.

The foregoing is general information only, not specific legal advice. No attorney/client relation has been created or should be implied.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption