do i still have to keep on a house i lost in bankruptcy?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

do i still have to keep on a house i lost in bankruptcy?

if i went brankrupt and lost my house. by law do i still have to do maintenence on the property? such as mow the grass and pick up trash?

Asked on June 17, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't know what you mean by "lost"?  Sometimes you can remain in the home for a certain period.  Are you currently in the property or not?  Anyway, I see no reason why you would be required to maintain a lost asset.  It would be up to the trustee to see that the asset does not suffer neglect, not you.  If, however, you are still in your home for a time, while you have no duty to maintain it you certainly would have to perform necessary repairs (ie fixing a burst water pipe) and you could not cause damage or otherwise take actions that would result in the asset  appreciably decreasing in value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption