Can I have a juvenile record expunged?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have a juvenile record expunged?

When I was 15 I got arrested, well, actually booked. I went to court and got charged with 3 felonies. I got probation and community service. I am now 21 years old and looking to start my life, is it still there or is the criminal record a juvenile only thing? Every job I have ever applied for I have been denied. Can I get it sealed or removed? I was young and stupid.

Asked on August 2, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Were you charged as an adult in those crimes?  You need to obtain a copy of the disposition of the matter.  If you were charged as a juvenile then the record should be expunged or sealed.  But some states require that you actually petition to seal the records.  You also have to remember that not only does the conviction record need to be sealed but the arrest record needs to be sealed as well.  They are two separate entities in the matter.  Florida does require that you apply to have the record expunged or sealed.  They can also deny your application.  I am going to give you a link to the matter.  Use it and then consult with an attorney.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption