If my husband had a car accident and was uninsured at the time, do I respond to a letter from the other parties insurer to let them know about this?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband had a car accident and was uninsured at the time, do I respond to a letter from the other parties insurer to let them know about this?

My husband and I were in an accident and the State Trooper ruled it an accident but there was a fatality. My husband had just dropped his insurance for me to add it to my insurance and during the week he was not insured he was driving and this horrible accident happened. We received a letter from the attorneys representing the other family letting us know they have representation and also a letter from their insurance requesting my husband’s insurance information. Do I call them to tell them or wait on the attorneys to do what they do? We have nothing for them to take.

Asked on August 10, 2011 Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can respond to the letter from the insurance company and inform the insurance company that your husband was uninsured. 

You should obtain the police report of the accident.  It will state whether your husband or the other party was at fault. 

If your husband was at fault in the accident and the other party has uninsured motorist coverage, they could file a claim through their insurance company.  Most likely, their uninsured motorist coverage will be inadequate to compensate them since there was a fatality.  Your husband will be sued for wrongful death (negligence resulting in a death).  If the lawsuit results in a judgment against your husband, you and your husband should consider filing bankruptcy.  It would be premature to file bankruptcy until there is a judgment against your husband.

If your husband was NOT at fault in the accident, then the fact that he was uninsured is irrelevant because he is not liable. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption