Do I really have to pay my mom back in full for a loan that she took out in her name for my tuition?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I really have to pay my mom back in full for a loan that she took out in her name for my tuition?

She had me sign a contract stating that I must pay her back the loan upon request or graduation, whichever comes first. No statement of terms of how I must pay her (in full or payments) or the like are in the contract. She also keeps changing the deadline I need to get it taken care of by. One day she emails me telling me it’s due by the end of next month, the next the end of this month.

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you understood that your mother took a loan out for your tuition when you were an adult and accepted the benefits of the loan, then it appears that you are obligated to repay her the amount.

I sense your frustration with your mother. I suggest that you simply write up a new agreement concerning the loan and you and she sign it where you pay her so much per month that you can afford until the loan is paid in full.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption