Do I pay rent after I receive my notice to vacate?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I pay rent after I receive my notice to vacate?

I am a tenant renting a property that is foreclosing. I am currently paying rent to the condo association because the owner had past dues. When I receive my notice to vacate and I still obligated to pay?

Asked on October 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to be aware of a federal law that came into effect in 2010 concerning foreclosed homes. If the foreclosed home is being rented by a tenant and the tenant is current in his or her rent, the new owner who ends up owning the property in a foreclosure cannot evict the tenant who is on a month-to-month lease without at least giving 90 days to vacate.

If the tenant is on a lease that has several months left on its term, the new owner is required to let the tenant complete the terms of the lease before ending the lease.

If you want to still remain in the unit you are renting, I would continue paying the rent and advise the new owner of your intentions under the 2010 federal law.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption