Do I owe my husband money for bills he paid?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I owe my husband money for bills he paid?

My husband approached me and told me I
have to provide him money in the amount
equal to half of what he paid on bills
while we were married and he doesn’t
have to give me anything from the house
even if I own it? Is this true?

Asked on February 10, 2017 under Family Law, Michigan


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't have to pay your husband anything until a judge or a court order tells you to.  It is not unusual for one spouse to pay for more of the bills during a marriage than the other... and the courts do not usually make the receiving spouse repay that entire amount even in a final order.... absent some type of bad conduct or equity claim.   It sounds like he is simply trying to shake you down for funds.  If he is looking to divorce you, you should save the funds that you do have for a solid family law attorney.  A good family law attorney can make sure that you are awarded the property and assets that you want/need and insure that clear financial expections are laid out for each spouse going forward. (Like who pays what and who gets what)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption