Do I owe any money to my former live-in girlfriend?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I owe any money to my former live-in girlfriend?

We lived together for 4 years. Her name is nowhere on the deed to the house. We made improvements to the house. For a while for her this was in lieu of any rent. The deal was improvements and no rent. Soon I was paying for half the improvements and she started paying rent. We have split up as a couple. She has her own apartment. Now she is asking me for the money she put into the house as it adds value to it. Do I legally owe her any money?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Probably not, although she might have a claim against you for unjust enrichment.  This is where one individual confers a benefit on the other one such that it would be unjust not to require the other one to compensate her for that benefit.  More would need to be known such as how much she spent, how much it added to the home's value, how much the mortgage payments were, etc...  If you two are amicable, it's probably best that you come to some agreement on what seems fair.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption