Do I need to take an attempt to collect on a 3 year old debt by a collection agency seriously?

UPDATED: Dec 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to take an attempt to collect on a 3 year old debt by a collection agency seriously?

About 3 years ago, my wife had a medical procedure preformed. The fee was submitted to our insurance several times and each time the insurance refused to pay the fee because they considered the fee excessive and the procedure unnecessary. We finally quit hearing from the medical provider until recently when we were contacted by a collection agency. We asked for and received verification on the debt they were attempting to collect and it was a statement from the doctor’s office that showed the final amount due as being written off.

Asked on December 24, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you had medical insurance that supposedly covered your wife's medical procedure several years ago where your medical carrier and the health care provider seemingly had a dispute where not all was paid but you are not getting calls from a third party collection agency about the bill, you should take the calls seriously.

I would call your medical provider at thr time about what is happening and follow up with a letter confirming the call. Keep a copy of the letter for future need and reference. In your letter, you should make clear that your health care provider at the time needs to take care of the situation over the unpaid bill.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption