Do I need to sue in Georgia or Florida

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to sue in Georgia or Florida

someone wrecked and totaled my car out in Georgia. My insurance paid off my balance but I had a $1000. deductible which I paid. The woman that wrecked my car move from Georgia to Florida. I want to sue her for my deductible. Which state do I have to sue her in. I live in Georgia still.

Asked on August 11, 2018 under Accident Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You could sue her in Georgia, since the accident occured there, BUT would have to sue in "regular" county court, not small claims (small claims court only has power over local defendants). Since "regular" court is more expensive, slower, and more complicated that small claims, it's not clear it would be worth doing this, especially since you might need an attorney to do this properly (and you would have to pay for the lawyer yourself; you can't recover that cost from the person you are suing). Also, even if you sue and win, if she did not then pay, you'd have to bring a collections action in FL based on the GA judgment in your favor, which would cost yet more money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption