Do I need to register as a foreign LLC?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to register as a foreign LLC?

I have a domestic LLC in NE and am looking into providing a few select events in KS. The events would be presentations and/or guided walking tours. Would this type of event require me to register my business as a foreign LLC in KS?

Asked on October 8, 2018 under Business Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is better to register. While arguably, not regularly providing goods or services in KS does not require registration, you are doing at least a "few select events" which are being planned in advance. That could be seen as sufficient business in KS to contitute "doing business" there, and if you do business in a state--again, not just the odd unexpected sale or transaction, but a course of offering products or services there--you must register. What you describe is on the cusp of requiring registration. However, the cost of registration is small, but the penalties for not registering when you should can be large, so when in doubt, register as a foreign LLC.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption