Do I need to register a pen name as DBA for an LLC?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to register a pen name as DBA for an LLC?

I would like to create an LLC as a freelance blogger/blogger, and hopefully

expand to offering consultations and/or handmade non-food items in the future. I would like to use a name other than my birth name or business name. Do I need to file a DBA in this case?

Asked on September 12, 2018 under Business Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can create an LLC to use any name you want, so long as that name is not currently being used for a business in your state. You don't need to separately register a DBA; you simply register the chosen name when setting up the LLC. A freelance writer/editor/etc. does not have to work under his/her own name but can select any name he/she wants for the LLC; for example, I have single-member (me) LLC for legal writing and editing I do, and it uses the name "Four Chairs Communications."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption