Do I need to pay remaining months rent (Pennsylvania)?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to pay remaining months rent (Pennsylvania)?

I live in the city of Harrisburg, which is going through a crime wave. I want to move out for safety reasons. Acc. to my lease, if I am allowed to vacate, I have to pay $250 in early termination fees and the remaining months (4 in this case) rent unless my unit is rented (unlikely, given the crime here). My brother is a LL and assures me that the LL cannot charge me for a unit I do not inhabit. Is my brother correct or my lease? (I am willing to pay the fee, but not able to pay the subsequent months’ rent, and so would be stuck here).

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'd double check on this with a Harrisburg lawyer.  I don't practice in Pennsylvania, and landlord-tenant law does have some differences between states;  also, Harrisburg is large enough that there might be some city ordinances that have to be considered as well, along with the detailed facts of your situation.

In most states, you would be liable for the unpaid months, if your landlord makes a "reasonable" effort to re-rent the apartment but cannot, or for the difference if the landlord gets a new tenant at a lower rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption