Do I need to legitimize my international divorce?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to legitimize my international divorce?

My ex-husband and are not U.S. citizens, however we were married when we moved to the U.S. We were married when we got our green cards through the

employment. Then my husband decided to go back and never return so we

decided it was time to separate. We didn’t have children, we didn’t have any

property disputes. We got divorced in our country of citizenship 2 years

ago and my ex-husband lives there since then. I remain a permanent

resident of the U.S. Do I need to do anything here to update my martial status? If I decide to get married again do I need anything to prove my current martial


Asked on November 12, 2018 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As I understand the question you have read it seems to me that you were married abroad and divorced here in the US.  Is that correct?  Then if that is the case you would have proved the marriage sufficiently to the court in order to get divorced in the first place.  Have copies of all the documents on hand in case you marry again.  But it sounds as if you are fine.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption