Do I need to hire an attorney for my Class B misdemnor theft charge?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to hire an attorney for my Class B misdemnor theft charge?

I was arrested 10 years ago for stealing and spent 1 week in jail. I was indigent at the time and never heard or did anything else about it. Fast forward and I was just arrested on an outstanding warrant for the crime. I am now back on my feet and doing OK. I have no other record. I just need to know what to expect? My arrainment is in a month.

Asked on March 17, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You really should retain or at least consult with a criminal defnse attorney. Remember, you not only have the warrant to worry about but also the underlying theft charge. The fact is that criminal charges can have lifelong consequences for you. Select a lawyer who pratices in the area of where the incident occurred. They can use utilize their local contacts withing the court system to your best advanatage. Again, you should at least consult with one as to how best to proceed based on the specific details of your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption