Do I need to give my landlord 90 days notice and can I move out at anytime?

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to give my landlord 90 days notice and can I move out at anytime?

Living in unit for 4 years. Original lease was for 1 year and required us to give 90 days notice when moving. At end of lease, asked landlord to sign new 1 year agreement. He stated he would get it to us but never did. We asked several times and it never came. Have been living without a lease since. No language in original lease stating it would go to month-to-month if we did not resign.

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is a clause in your original lease that indicates there is an automatic renewal on a yearly basis until landlord or tenant indicates otherwise in writing, after the lease's expiration, you are now on a month to month basis.  With month to month rentals, only 30 days' notice is required.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption