Do I need to give an eviction notice to someone who doesn’t pay rent or utilities?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to give an eviction notice to someone who doesn’t pay rent or utilities?

I live in apartment and someone live with me. They don’t pay rent or any bills. I just want to know if I have to get eviction notice to let her leave the apartment?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You personally do not have to give an eviction notice that you may receive from your landlord to another person who resides in your unit who presumably is a "guest" of yours. However, it would be a wise idea to let this "guest" know that you have been served with an eviction notice and that the lease and occupation of the rental will soon be coming to an end.

It is the landlord's staututory duty to serve all tenants of his or her with an eviction notice (usually 30 days) to end the tenancy. Good practice would be for the landlord to serve the notice upon all adult occupants of the rental as well even those who are "guests".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption