Do I need to give an eviction notice to someone who doesn’t pay rent or utilities?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to give an eviction notice to someone who doesn’t pay rent or utilities?

I have a relitive living in my home now who pays nothing and I have asked them to leave within 30 days. I have told them to find work and contribute but this has not happened for 6 month.

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You do not need to evict someone who is not a tenant. If, however, you signed an agreement or there was no written agreement but the assumption by both parties this person would pay and hasn't, then yes, you would need to evict. Otherwise, do not wait 6 months; that is not showing your seriousness or intent to kick this person out. If you are truly serious about kicking this person out, then get a sheriff to come in and have this person with a civil escort be taken out of the home. You certainly do not want to do anything that would cause violence so you may wish to call the sheriff first and arrange a time when you know this relative will be home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption