As a green card refugee, do I need to fill the “parole document” to visit outside US for 6 months?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a green card refugee, do I need to fill the “parole document” to visit outside US for 6 months?

I’m in a refugee visa and have a green card now. I’m trying to visit outside US and submitted the documents to passport department. They rejected my application. Do I need to fill the parole document? Please answer my question if its free.

Asked on December 21, 2011 under Immigration Law, Kentucky


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you plan to be outside the US for an extended period of time, you will need to submit an application for a reentry permit.  You have to be physically present in the US in order to submit the application and you must be in the US for a few weeks thereafter to go through the biometrics.  After that, the document will be processed and can be sent to you at any address you designate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption