Do I need to carry special insurance to rent a shed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to carry special insurance to rent a shed?

I have a shed on my property that I’d
like to rent to a local farmer to store
hay. Do I have to have special
insurance or can I just have them sign
a release of liability?

Asked on September 11, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You should have both. A release of liability provides a great deal of protection, but it is not absolute or foolproof: you cannot release yourself from liability if you fail in your obligations to repair dangerous or known or suspected conditions, so if there is any problem with the shed that causes harm or commercial use, it is possible you could be liable for it if you knew of the issue or reasonably *should* have known (any reasonable property owner in your shoes would have known). The release will protect against unforeseen problems that may occur, or injuries that are natural/logical outgrowths of storing hay (e.g. someone putting it in there drops a bale on their leg and breaks it) but does not absolve you of your basic obligations as a property owner to remediate potentially harmful conditions.
So the release helps, but you could still be sued in some cases. And if you are sued, if you dont' have the right insurance on the shed (e.g. commerical coverage for the use to which it is being put), your insurer could decline to cover you under your general policy, leaving you to foot the bill yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption