Do I need legal representation regarding a car accident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need legal representation regarding a car accident?

A 15 year-old neighbor kid took her mom’s car without permission and tried

to drive, crashing it into several things on my block, including our teenage

daughter’s parked car. Their insurance company has accepted liability and is

processing a claim that includes compensation for the total loss of our vehicle, as well as taxes and registration fees for a replacement. They have not yet arrived at a dollar amount for this. Do I need a lawyer to make sure we

are fairly compensated? The car was 13 years old and already had minor body damage but ran well.

Asked on June 13, 2018 under Accident Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You don't need a lawyer unless and until you decide to sue (e.g. if you are not being offered a reasonable amount and elect to sue rather than settle). You can figure out you own costs and losses, and compare to their offer. If it is close to what you believe you are entitled to, take, rather than go through the expense and time of a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption