Do I need judgement in order to foreclose on the house, if my ex-husband has violated our divorce decree?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need judgement in order to foreclose on the house, if my ex-husband has violated our divorce decree?

My ex is living in the house and is responsible for payments, however the mortgage is still in my name. The decree states he is not allowed to make more than 2 late payments in a 1 year period, however he continues to do so. Can I just call the bank and have them foreclose, or do I have to take him to court in front of the judge? The attorney that handled the divorce will not help me since I cannot pay him, and he has not represented me or filed any paperwork in 8 months.

Asked on August 29, 2011 Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do here is to enforce your divorce decree.  You yourself do not foreclose.  The bank forecloses.  If he makes the payments - albeit late payments - and they choose not to foreclose then that is their choice.  You can not force them to do so.  What you can do is to enforce the agreement or sue him for breach and ask for modification allowing you to - what do you really want to do here?  I am really concerned in general for you here.  Have you signed over the house to him in this settlement?  Then you bear all the liability with out ant benefit and the mortgage company will be hoppin mad when they find out.  Is there "paperwork" still outstanding here because you did did say that your old attorney has not filed paperwork so I wonder.  Please see if legal aid or legal services can help you.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption