Do I need an attorney or CPA to start a business

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need an attorney or CPA to start a business

I want to start a barbershop/salon in NC but do
not want to pay unnecessary fees. I need
direction but want to be as cost efficeint as
possible right now. Do I absolutely need a CPA
or lawyer in order to register my business?
Does a CPA or lawyer take care of every detail
associated with registry?

Asked on April 9, 2019 under Business Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, legally you do not need a CPA or an attorney: you are allowed to form an LLC or corporation, register your business, obtain any necessary licenses, etc. on your own. 
There are lawyers who will take care of all of this for you if you wanted (a lawyer, not CPA, would be the best one to help with this: these are fundamentally legal, not accounting, issues), but not all lawyers would: you would need to inquire around to find a lawyer who does this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption