Do I need a Real Estate Agent if I already have a buyer for my home?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need a Real Estate Agent if I already have a buyer for my home?

My family member has shown interest in my home. I’m getting ready to put my house
on the market, but didn’t know if i should get a real estate agent or just a
lawyer if he already agreed to purchase my home at a set price.

Asked on June 23, 2016 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no legal requirement for a realtor or lawyer--you are allowed to do it all yourself. Since the main thing a realtoe does is find a buyer, you can do without one if you already have a buyer and therefore save the commission. It would be a good idea to hire a lawyer to draft and/or review the contract, so as to make sure it meets your need and protects you; the lawyer can also help with the title search, closing, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption