If I caused an accident but don’t have insurance, what’s going to happen to me?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I caused an accident but don’t have insurance, what’s going to happen to me?

I had a car accident in a rental car that I thought was insured. I asked to purchase the insurance yet I apparently only purchased what is called the lost damage waiver, which only covered the car. As I am between running cars at the moment I let my was expired at the time of the accident. Now, I’m getting calls from both the rental car companies insurance people and the insurance people of the person’s car I hit. The insurance for the rental car company said the person I hit is claiming injury damages and that I will be liable if I don’t have insurance. Do I need a lawyer? What type of lawyer do I need?

Asked on July 27, 2011 California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you didn't have insurance and caused the accident, you will probably be sued for negligence for the property damage to the other vehicle and also for the injuries to the other driver.  The property damage would be the cost of repairs to the vehicle.  The personal injury claim would include medical bills, pain and suffering, and wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills and wage loss is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.

It would be advisable to have an attorney to represent you.  As to the type of attorney, this would be an attorney who would defend you in a personal injury case.  Most of the attorneys you will see listed in the telephone book under personal injury are representing the plaintiff (injured party) and might not represent a defendant.  If you can't find an attorney with personal injury experience to represent you, you might want to find an attorney who handles civil litigation and will defend you.  It would be advisable to check with your local or county bar association which may have a lawyer referral service.

If the case results in a judgment against you, you might want to consider filing bankruptcy.  Until there is a judgment against you, it would be premature to file bankruptcy. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption