What do I do if a bill collector is threatening me?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if a bill collector is threatening me?

I was contacted by a woman who said she was an investigator for a law firm. She said that Idefaulted on a on-line pay day loan in 2006. The on-line application contained all of my personal information but the middle 2 numbers of my social had been transposed. She was accusing me of identity theft. She said that she could not prove intent but could prosecute me for negligence, because the debt ended up on someone else’s credit report. She she was going to have me arrested and that I should contact an attorney. We were disconnected and I tried to call back several times to get more information.

Asked on September 18, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Familiarize yourself with the rules of conduct under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).   If in fact she was calling on behalf of or as a debt collector she could be in VERY big trouble.  Did you get her name?  You got her number.  Did she call from the firm or just state the name of the firm?  I would contact the law firm and ask for their fax number then write a letter and fax it to them indicating what happened and they are without a doubt violating the FDCPA and that you intend on reporting her, them and possibly filing a grievance.  See where that gets you.  And I would seriously consider reporting her.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption