Do I need a lawyer to press charges for a bounced check and to sue a commercial tenant over a broken lease?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need a lawyer to press charges for a bounced check and to sue a commercial tenant over a broken lease?

If I file these myself where do I go?

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are not required to retain an attorney to assist you about the matters you have written about in your question, however having one would probably make the process go much smoother to resolution.

To find a form for filing a lawsuit presumably you can go online to find such or if the amount of your claimed damages is not significant and would fall within small claims court jurisdiction, you can go down to your county court house to get a small claims court complaint.

Another option would be to go to your county law library and ask the law librarian for the forms to file the lawsuit you want to file. I suggest that before you file you send a written demand letter to the commercial tenant keeping a copy for future need and use. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption