What to do about a DUI?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a DUI?

I just received my first DWI charge and am willing to plead to guilty for the charge. I just want to make sure that they do not over punish me for the offense. Should I speak with a DUI attorney? I’m in Walker County, TX.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First of all, while you do not need an attorney if your are arrested for a DUI, as a practical matter is recommended. The fact is that a DUI triggers 2 cases - 1 civil; 1 criminal. And any time criminal charges are involved it is always advisable to have legal representation. A skilled DUI lawyer can be instrumental in possibly having the case dismissed, the charges reduced, or winning an acquittal at trial. A DUI case is based on certain factors that can successfully be defended against. And a conviction can have a drastic impact on employment, professional licensing, insurance rates, etc.

Bottom line, an experienced DUI lawyer can help achieve a significantly more favorable result, even if you are guilty, than pleading guilty and taking a straight conviction

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption