Do I need a lawyer, Management is editing, shaving off time card of hours worked.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need a lawyer, Management is editing, shaving off time card of hours worked.

I have documentation and proof my
manager has changed my timesheet and
hours falsifying hours worked I went
to HR and nothing more has become of
this issue.

Asked on June 15, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is illegal for the employer to change a timecard if the change is not accurate. There are times when an employer will make a change to a timecard in order to correct an error, made either by the employee or by the employer. However, if the employee is properly notified this is permissable. That having been said, if the change is designed to shave off time worked from an employee's reported hours, the employee needs to notify their employer and ask for it to be fixed. If the employer refuses to do so, then they employee can file a complaint with their state's department of labor and/or consult with an employment law attorney. If they are fired because of this, then they will have a claim not only for the unpaid wages but also for retaliation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption