Do I need a lawyer for a court appearance regarding a careless driving ticket?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need a lawyer for a court appearance regarding a careless driving ticket?

My 17 year old son was in a car accident last week. He was taking a left turn, he had the green arrow signal to go and a car coming from the left ran the red light and hit him. He received a ticket for careless driving and a court date in the mail 3 days after the accident. Does that mean that the police are blaming him for the accident or is that the procedure?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Accident Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is probably wise to have your son attend the upcoming court hearing with a retained lawyer to defend him at the criminal proceeding resulting from an accident that he was involved in. If he pleads guilty to the driving offense which is a criminal action and there is a civil lawsuit resulting from the underlying incident, the person bringing the civil action could use the criminal conviction as an admission by your son to prove liability in the civil action.

Since your son was cited to attend a court hearing after the accident that he was involved in, law enforcement is deeming him the cause of the mishap.

My experience is that one should try and nip these traffic offenses in the bud before they change into a bigger issue.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption