Do I need a lawyer for appeal of unemployment benefits?

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need a lawyer for appeal of unemployment benefits?

I was denied. My job fired because I had 3 accidents over 2 1/2 years.

Asked on September 28, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Without knowing more details of your case, its hard to know if you have grounds for an appeal.  However, if you do, you may want to hire an attorney to help you.  Most claimants don't know how to act at unemployment hearings.  Often they are told by unemployment personnel that an attorney is not required.  However, do not be surprised if your former employer is represented by one.  You may be subjected to a difficult and lengthy cross-examination.  Other claimants lose at the hearing because they don't understand what they must prove to receive benefits.

You should at least consult with an attorney about representing you at the hearing. Many states limit the amount that they can charge you for such a case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption