Do I need a contract written by a lawyer for a Co-ownership Real Property Agreement, or can I write one myself?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need a contract written by a lawyer for a Co-ownership Real Property Agreement, or can I write one myself?

I’m buying a house with my sister,which we both will be listed on the deed and
each own 50. I want to get a contract written that will spell out the ownership
rights, finances, repairs and other responsibilities for each party. I have an
agreement in place that I wrote out and we’ve both agreed to, and would like
advice on any changes or additions based on the law in Florida where the property
is located.

Asked on May 9, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Although you can write the contract yourself as you have done, it would be advisable to have it reviewed by an attorney.  Having the contract reviewed by an attorney is advisable to be certain that all issues are addressed and that the duties and rights of the parties are set forth.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption