Can my old lease agreement be terminated by the new owners because of non-payment to the old owners?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my old lease agreement be terminated by the new owners because of non-payment to the old owners?

The property I have been renting a condo and recently it went through a short sale. Escrow closes next week. I didn’t pay rent for this month because of the short sale. Legallly, do I have to pay this rent?

Asked on August 26, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your obligation under the lease for the condominium you are in is with the former owner of the property who sold it to a new owner in a short sale. If your lease's term has more than a month remaining, the new owner of the property is obligated to allow you to remain in the unit you are renting so long as you are current with the rent with him or her until the lease's term is up.

If you owe rent for a period of time when the old owner was on title to the condominium, the new owner cannot terminate your lease because of this. The new owner can only terminate your lease for failure to pay rent when the new owner has title to the rental and not before.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption