Do I have to wait for the courts to grant me access to my child or do I have automatic parental rights?

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to wait for the courts to grant me access to my child or do I have automatic parental rights?

I am going through a paternity case with my child’s mother. I have just filed a motion for mediation. Now she won’t let me see my child or have any contact.

Asked on November 17, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry that you are having such difficulty gaining access to your child.  It is a shame for both of you.  I am going to assume here that you and the child's mother are not, nor never were, married.  If that is true then at this point in time - with out any court order establishing paternity or a visitation schedule - you have no parental rights to your child.  It may really be in your best interest to file a otion for a temporary order of vistiation in this matter as well.  Maybe you already have and I have spoken out of turn.  But it seems to me that you may need to obtain some leverage here by having an attorney step in for you.  Think about it.  Good luck to you.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption