Do I have to sign termination papers when going on a leave of absence?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to sign termination papers when going on a leave of absence?

I work at a movie theater in MN part-time and have been employed there for over three years now. Recently, the theater obtained new management and the new general manager has asked all of the employees who are going on a leave of absence for college to sign termination papers “just in case” we do not return. Is this legal? How do I get out of signing the papers?

Asked on July 29, 2011 Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You do not have to sign any paperwork presented you by theatre management if you do not want to. I suspect that there is more stated in the represented paperwork than what is being verbally told you. If you are going on a "leave of absence" to attend college, then you do not really wish to terminate your position at the movie theatre correct?

You might want to work at the movie theatre when you return on vacation, weekends and summer breaks.

I suspect that new management may have benefits for employees who have a certain tenure at the theatre and if you sign a written agreement that you have terminated your job on your own instead of the leave of absence that you intend, then perhaps you might not ever get your job back if you have an agreement allowing you to return. Read the paperwork presented you carefully.

You could refuse to sign the new paperwork telling new management you have consulted with a lawyer about the subject. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption