Do I have to settle for salvaged parts?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to settle for salvaged parts?

I have four quotes for my truck, all within $6 of lowest-highest. My quotes call for parts to cost $634. The adjustor said the parts are $200 at the salvage yard. Do I have to settle for this? Also my total for body, alignment, & my seal to be replaced is around $1,425.00; theirs is for $881.00. This was the other person’s fault, so this is his insurance I’m dealing with. They say they’re not responsible for aligning or replacing the seal in my transfer case even though neither one of these had the problem until the wreck. They are telling my that my vehicle being a 96 with over 200,000. Is this what I have to settle for ?

Asked on March 25, 2009 under Accident Law, Arkansas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You have to understand that you are not entitled to a new car.  Essentially, what was the worth of the vehicle immediately prior to the accident? If the cost to fix the vehicle is more than the worth of the car, then they only have to give you the worth of the car. 

In terms of what they are responsible for fixing, sounds like they are giving you the run around.  If it was the other person's fault, you need to contact your insurance company.  Your insurance rates won't go up -- talk to them and explain what happened.  If that doesn't help, contact your state's insurance dept and file an administrative claim.  If that doesn't work, contact an attorney specializing in insurance matters.  Your state's insurance dept is

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption