Do I have to sell a car to someone who I verbally negotiated a price with?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to sell a car to someone who I verbally negotiated a price with?

I want to know if I can change my mind and not sell the vehicle to him or if I can
simply raise the price. I did not sign anything although in emails from what I
remember as I do not have the old ones, I had agreed to a price. Since nothing
was actually exchanged, can I be legally forced to sell something at a specific

Asked on August 7, 2019 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If he offers to pay you the agreed-upon price, you will have to sell to him at that price. An oral ("oral," not "verbal," is the correct term for an unwritten agreement) contract or agreement is enforceable. Therefore, if he does his part--offers or attempts to pay you the agreed-upon price--you will be contractually obligated to do your part and sell the car to him. If you do not, he could sue you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption