Do I have to pay the landlord unreasonable damages after moving out?

UPDATED: Feb 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay the landlord unreasonable damages after moving out?

My landlord is charging me too much for the damages. I lived in the apartment for 2 years the apartment was not in great shape to begin with, no move in inspection was done that time. Now they are trying to charge to put in new carpet and other damages caused because of the water leak which the could not fix.

Asked on February 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

After move out, if you believe that your former landlord is trying to charge you unreasonable damages after move out, you are  under no obligation to pay the demanded amount. In fact, typically the replacement of aged carpet by the landlord after move out is a cost absorbed by the landlord as part of the cost of doing business since carpets and rugs are a declining asset that are depreciated for tax purposes in most cases of rentals.

The only exception where the tenant would be repsonsible for taking care of the damage to a carpet in the rental is when the tenant actually causes the damage such as paint or bleach stains.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption