Do I have to pay storage fee on a vehicle parked at an autobody shop if no storage contract was mentioned or signed?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay storage fee on a vehicle parked at an autobody shop if no storage contract was mentioned or signed?

My friend gave me a vehicle; he had a motor removed from. The auto shop that did the work has the vehicle and refuse to release the vehicle without me paying storage fees. the vehicle has been at the shop for 2 years but no storage contract was initiated or signed by my friend, just the removal of the engine. Can I get the car without paying the storage fees?

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Business Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the auto shop has no written agreement with you for storage fees of it with respect to the work that was to be done to it and you never received any prior notice that the shop was going to charge you storage fees, there does not appear to be a legal basis for the the charge and the refusal to return your vehicle.

I suggest that you consult with a business attorney about the situation you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption