If you share transportation of the children equally, what happens if 1 of the parents moves over 1000 miles away?

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you share transportation of the children equally, what happens if 1 of the parents moves over 1000 miles away?

I divorced 3 years ago. The decree states that we share transportation of the children equally. Since the time of the decree he has moved 1000 miles away and is trying to force me to drive half way or pay him too. I still live in the same city as we did when we were married.

Asked on June 5, 2011 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness.  Either you missed something in the divorce papers or your attorney did.  Generally divorce agreements indicate that the parties can not move more than a certain distance after divorce.  How far really depends on where you live and the circumstances of the parties but generally speaking within a 100 mile radius is what is put in the papers.   His moving away has created a change in circumstances that will, I believe, allow you to ask the court to modify your agreement to share transportation and may even allow you to modify the custody and visitation schedule.  Please go and seek legal help here as soon as you can.  You can not intentionally violate the agreement or order of the court or you could be held in contempt so you need to file a motion for modification asap.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption