Do I have to pay for a mistake that my landlord made in the amount of my last month’s rent if I have already moved out?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay for a mistake that my landlord made in the amount of my last month’s rent if I have already moved out?

I recently moved out of my rental unit, the lease expired yesterday (the 26 h). I paid my rent in full according to the property management companies on on-line program of the prorated amount for 26 days on the first of the month. I just received a letter today stating that I owe the $250 for the rest of the month; the company made a mistake. Is this legal or are they just trying to get me to pay for their mistake?

Asked on July 27, 2011 New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If in fact the property management company made a mistake in the pro-ration of the days left on your lease and amount owed where you actually owe $250.00 more, you need to pay that $250.00 in that is what you agreed to under the lease.

It is not fair for you to take advantage of one's mistake especially since the mistake was quickly discovered and the $250.00 owed was requested from you.

It is entirely legal for the property management company to request the additional money that you owed under your lease where it made the initial mistake of sending you an amount due for a lesser amount.

Put yourself in the property management company's position.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption