do i have to pay for damages to an uninsured driver?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

do i have to pay for damages to an uninsured driver?

I was at fault for an accident because my car slipped on ice and i slip into the side
of another drivers back tail light. My car is more damaged than his but he needs a
new tail light. My car is covered with insurance but his is not. He is asking me to
pay for his tail light but i am wondering if i have to because he is not covered? I
live in Minnesota and his car is registered in Washington State.

Asked on January 15, 2017 under Accident Law, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since you were at fault in the accident, the other driver should file a property damage claim with your insurance company.  Your insurance company will pay for the property damage (cost of repairs) for the vehicle that was not at fault.
You don't pay out of your own pocket.  Your insurance company pays for the damage to the other vehicle.
The fact that the other driver did not have insurance is not an issue in determining liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption